Re: survey on multiple development versions

From: Carl Peterson
Subject: Re: survey on multiple development versions
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 11:00:02 -0500

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 10:23 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

If we have branches with personal interests, it must become more
feasible for the respective authors with personal interests to provide
binaries if they consider that a good idea.  Any solution that will only
work via the "Phil, do more" route is not going to scale.

This, to me, sounds like a "plug-in" solution is needed, at least for things that do not involve changing the C++ code (and maybe even then).

The question is, if we're looking at releasing these binaries to reflect personal interest, how much are they actually going to be used? I have the feeling, though it may be unjustified, that while there may be a few people who would grab a binary with an experimental feature (self included, if it is one that I'm interested in and know something about), the use of the binaries may not be enough to justify the extra effort to make them available.