terminal sustenuto

From: Shane Brandes
Subject: terminal sustenuto
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 17:43:56 -0500

Hi all,

Could someone rewrite the text for LilyPond 2.17.97 Notation
Reference: 2.2.2 Piano to reflect that leaving the final \sustenutoOff
in the text variant of the sustain pedal function does not do the same
fancy auto ending that the bracket variety does. Also there is a note
that pedal markings may be placed in a Dynamics context. in order to
obtain the bracket variant it is necessary to specify

\set Dynamics.pedalSustainStyle = #'bracket instead of

\set Staff.pedalSustainStyle = #'bracket as per the manual.

The reason I noticed this is the regression test has a better
explanation and only mention the bracket variety auto terminating. It
would be clever if the text variety also auto terminated.
By the way following another discussion I decided to update and then
decided to pull an old file done with 2.10 and run convert-ly which
worked gracefully. Most of what it needed was to remove the hacks in
the older file such as offsets and the like. See the two side by side
is interesting the 2.17 version is astonishingly better looking.

Shane