Re: A thought on Windows Experience

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: A thought on Windows Experience
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 20:40:36 -0500

Hi Wol,

> imho [Word] STILL hasn't caught up with the dedicated word processing
> programs for professionals (such as WordPerfect) which were around in the 80s
> - thirty years ago!

Depends on your definition of “caught up”, I suppose.  ;)
In terms of the number of people who use it, there’s no competition: Word
trampled WordPerfect years (maybe decades) ago.
In terms of the number of documents generated by it, same thing.
In terms of the likelihood of still being in use after the other application is
discontinued, my money’s on Word.

We often forget that quality and usefulness are not synonymous — q.v. Beta (vs.
VHS), WordPerfect (vs. Word), and, unfortunately, Lilypond (vs. all the other
engraving apps).

Cheers,
Kieren.