Re: Turns

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Turns
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 17:33:20 -0000

David Kastrup wrote Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:57 PM

> It does not really work well as a general mechanism.  For rearranging
> stacking orders and similar automatically, the manual offers a number of
> recipes in
> <URL:http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/learning/outside_002dstaff-objects>.
>
> It seems like an anomaly that advanced material like this would be
> covered in the Learning Manual and is seemingly not to be found in the
> Notation Reference.

Not really.  I selected stuff like this for the Learning Manual  based on the
questions appearing on the -user list around 3-4 years ago.  Placement of
objects used to be a common question then.

So why not in the Notation Reference?  Because we don't document
overrides in general - that's what the Internal Reference is for.  And
we don't use the NR to explain things - that's done in the LM.

Trevor