Re: lilypond for ios

From: Carl Peterson
Subject: Re: lilypond for ios
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 08:58:35 -0500

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 8:46 AM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
> Am 13.12.2013 14:14, schrieb Stephanie Mitchell:
>
>> Hi all,
>> Just wondering if there is an app for ios that can write and print
>> lilypond files?
>> I'm looking for a ios app that will do this, so I can print music while
>> away from home.
>> Thanks,
>> Steph
>>
> At least currently that's not possible IISC.
> One problem is that compiling scores has high demands on processing power,
> so it may never appear on ios or android.
>
> What's theoretically possible (but I don't know of an implementation yet is
> having a server application where you could send your .ly files to, that
> produces a PDF (or SVG) and sends that back to your device.
>
> That's not a tip what you could do now but a more general idea what would be
> possible.

The closest I can think of to what Urs described would be something
like LilyBin (http://lilybin.com/), which allows you to connect to a
Dropbox account and load/edit ly source files and compile them, then
download either a PDF or MIDI. I don't know what the usability on iOS
is, and I would probably not recommend it for the iPhone. I would
suggest using a plain text editor that can work with Dropbox, then
compiling in LilyBin. The caveat that I've seen is that if your ly
file throws any errors, you will only see that there *is* an error,
and not what that error is. I've had it throw an error (and not
display any output) when it has used the default 2.16 compiler and I
had a 2.17 \version statement, so it is a bit sensitive there.

Carl P.