Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 133, Issue 102

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 133, Issue 102
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 19:34:49 -0500

Hi all,

> I took Kieren’s idea to be a sort of 'spectral’ analysis
> At least, I understand Kieren to be wondering "what is the distribution of
> pitches
> assigned to a given instrument throughout this score?" or less
> technically, what portion of each instrument's range does this
> score utilize?  This is somewhat like a "weighted ambitus" as
> shown perhaps by a  bell curve which shows not only the highest
> and lowest pitches, but also includes the weighting of which
> pitches are used more frequently than others.

Precisely! I imagine the best visualization would be an ambitus the thickness
of which represents the proportion of that pitch versus the total number of
pitches (or duration?) of the whole piece.

> Have you seen the 'musanim' music animations on YouTube?

They are fascinating! Put those together with my brainstorm (and a few others),
and you have a real 21st Century musicological tool.

Best,
Kieren.