Re: Missing notes after lyrics end: bug?

From: TaoCG
Subject: Re: Missing notes after lyrics end: bug?
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 10:09:37 -0800 (PST)

Arjen Bax-2 wrote
> I am typesetting an SATB hymn with where the lyrics of the four voices
> are almost the same. This results in ChoirStaff setup with two Staff
> contexts and a Lyrics context inbetween. The staff contexts each contain
> two voices.
>
>   \new ChoirStaff <<
>     \new Staff = upper <<
>       \new Voice = sop
>       \new Voice = alt
>     >>
>     \new Lyrics \lyricsto alt
>     \new Staff = lower <<
>       \new Voice = ten
>       \new Voice = bas
>     >>
>   >>

> Now in bar 38 soprano and bass have 2 syllables less than alto and
> tenor. I'd like to add the alternative soprano text above the upper
> staff just for that single bar.
>
> I have tried the following, defining the auxiliary soparno lyrics to be:
>
>   sopTxt = \new Lyrics = sopL \with {
>     alignAboveContext = "upper"
>   }
>   \lyricsto sop \lyricmode { be with Him }
>
> and replacing bar 38 of the soprano melody { c4 g g2 } by
>
>   << { c4 g g2 } { \sopTxt } >>
>
> This has the intended effect of the lyrics "be with Him" being aligned
> above the upper staff, but as a side effect, the complete soprano melody
> from the next bar onwards vanishes! Is this a bug, or should I do this
> differently?
>
> Complete minimal working example, omitting the lower staff:
>
>   \version "2.16.2"
>
>   sopTxt = \new Lyrics = sopL \with { alignAboveContext = "upper" }
>     \lyricsto sop \lyricmode { A C }
>
>   sopV = \relative c'' { << { c2 c } { \sopTxt } >> c4 c c c }
>   altV = \relative c'  { c4 c c c c c c c }
>
>   \score {
>     \new ChoirStaff <<
>       \new Staff = upper <<
>       \new Voice = sop { \voiceOne \sopV }
>       \new Voice = alt { \voiceTwo \altV }
>       >>
>       \new Lyrics \lyricsto alt { A B C D E F G H }
>     >>
>   }
>
> Where are the four c4 notes of the soprano?
>
> Vriendelijke groet / Kind regards / Vennlig hilsen,
> Arjen Bax

I don't know exactly what happens in your example but a lyrics context
inside a voice doesn't seem right to me. Instead create a subvoice and
assign the lyrics later to it.
I modified your example to show what I mean.

\version "2.16.2"

  sopV = \relative c'' { c4 c \new Voice = sopL { \voiceOne c2 c } c4 c }
  altV = \relative c'  { c4 c c c c c c c }

  \score {
    \new ChoirStaff <<
      \new Staff = upper <<
        \new Voice = sop { \voiceOne \sopV }
        \new Voice = alt { \voiceTwo \altV }

      \new Lyrics \with { alignAboveContext = "upper" } \lyricsto sopL { A C
}
      \new Lyrics \lyricsto alt { A B C D E F G H }