Re: still no ultimate way to create three-staff piano layout

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: still no ultimate way to create three-staff piano layout
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 08:12:37 +0000 (UTC)

Eluze <eluzew <at> gmail.com> writes:

> karol wrote
> > This doesn't solve the problem. Look at the example. In the first system
> > spacing is proper, but in the second, distance between 'b' and 'd' is 9
> > (should be 10.5).
>
> I think this is a paradoxical situation:
>
> if a staff (group) is removed then the vertical spacing of the staff group
> above is applied

If I understand, the PianoStaff inside StaffGroup should be treated as a
group for purposes of removing empty staves together, but not treated as a
group for purposes of spacing.

The StaffGrouper, that makes different spacing at the end of a group, is
created by the Vertical_align_engraver (despite what the manual says) so
if you remove the Vertical_align_engraver form the PianoStaff, only the
enclosing StaffGroup will have the appearance of a group.

    \new StaffGroup <<
      \new PianoStaff \with {
        \remove "Span_bar_engraver"
        \remove "System_start_delimiter_engraver"
        \remove "Vertical_align_engraver"
      } <<
        \new Staff
        \new Staff >>