Re: Lyric extender

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Lyric extender
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 14:12:43 -0500

Hi Shane,

> I solved the problem with this unpleasant kludge:
> \once\override TextScript.extra-offset = #'(4.2 . -2.5) <g bes es>1
> _"___________________"
>
> but if anyone comes up with something more effective I will implement it.

At the very least, adjust the extender itself, rather than adding a whole new
grob:

\version "2.17.97"

\paper { ragged-right = ##f }

theNotes = {
  c'8 d' e' f' g'2
  c'1
}

theWords = \lyricmode {
  This is just a \once \override LyricExtender.minimum-length = #14 hack! __
  Poof!!
}

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff \theNotes
    \addlyrics \theWords

}

Hope this helps!
Kieren.

p.s. This situation is exactly the type of thing which has prompted me to ask
(many times in the past) for the ability to set width dimensions/offsets/etc.
in moments: it would be amazing (and layout-adjustment-proof!) to write

    \once \override LyricExtender.length = \width-of-moment 3/8

and get an extender which is 3 eighth notes’ width.