Re: calling all opera/musical engravers

From: Luca Rossetto Casel
Subject: Re: calling all opera/musical engravers
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 02:09:52 +0100

Dear Kieren and all,

Il 16/12/2013 22:59, Kieren MacMillan ha scritto:
I would love to hear from anyone who has engraved a full opera or musical (with
at least vocal score plus full score) in Lilypond.
I engraved the critical edition of Traetta's /Enea nel Lazio/ in full score. It's a 18th century Italian opera seria: surely less challengin to engrave than more recent compositions.

1. Is lilypond-book the only sane way to do it?

Due to the strict articulation in recitatives and arias typical of this musical form, I found convenient writing a separated file for every piece and include all the ones relative to a single act in a "container" file. I put my customized settings (overrides and so on) and the layout instructions in two separated files, included in the other ones.

2. What functions/extensions/tricks did you use to bend Lily to your will?

I created some modified articulation and dynamic marks for distinguish the elements added by me frome the ones of the original score; I created a sign of "long fermata"; I adjusted a little the appoggiatura slurs in order to avoid collisions with stem and ledgers of the relative note; and I implemented Harm's workaround for display the hyphens of syllables positioned at the beginning of a new line,

3. What pitfalls are to be watched for (and hopefully avoided)?

Creating too large and/or complex files! My score was about 430 pages, and I had to split it in four parts - one for every act and an appendix - to compiling without congest my computer.

4. What limitations cannot [currently] be overcome?

In some circumstances, it would be useful having the opportunity to adjust the spacing "on the fly": i.e., altering the distances between two staves from a given point to another. But I can understand this is a very hard issue, and that a somewhat analogue result can be obtained starting and stopping the staves.

Thanks to all of you!

Luca

--
Caselle da 1GB, trasmetti allegati fino a 3GB e in piu' IMAP, POP3 e SMTP
autenticato? GRATIS solo con Email.it http://www.email.it/f

Sponsor:
Z-Ultimate: il tuo mondo a portata di mano, sempre! Diamo spazio alla tua
sicurezza con il BACKUP.
* 30 GB per gestire email e condividere files, scopri l'offerta
Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=13178&d=17-12