Re: Fwd: autochange and tuplet brackets

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Fwd: autochange and tuplet brackets
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 10:33:15 +0100

Am 20.12.2013 10:29, schrieb Simon Bailey:
On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 9:55 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden
<mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
Urs Liska <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> writes:

Am20.12.2013 08 <tel:20.12.2013%2008>:33, schrieb Simon Bailey:
is this a bug or just unexpected behaviour on a border-case which doesn't
occur in real music?;)

 >> Well, it _does_ occur in real music, as you have shown us.
 >
 > The smiley would appear to indicate he has been indulging in a bit of
 > facetiousness directed against canned responses.

yes, this was a comment made with tongue firmly in cheek. :) the
original version delivered by the composer did not have cross-staff
beams and rests under the tuplet beams in both hands. i feel that my
notation is less complex for the player, but not being a pianist, i'm
not sure if it would be considered the "correct" way to do it. if not,
i'm open to suggestions on how better to notate this section. i haven't
consulted gould on the matter yet, but will do so this evening.

As a pianist I'd say this notation is perfectly clear. I'm even quite sure that it's a very common notation for such distributed repetitions (but I don't have my scores at home, so I can't check). But maybe looking at some IMSLP scores of Liszt studies might be even better than looking up Gould ;-)

all that aside -- the tuplet brackets do not work very well by default
for this case, so my original question still remains: bug or extreme
border case?

I would say LilyPond should handle this automatically, so I'd vote for "bug".

Actually one of my first messages to lilypond-user was about a very similar problem with cross staff tuplets (typesetting a few measures by Ferneyhough). Fortunately in my case the answer "would you please try out with the development version" "fixed" it - from that moment on I never used stable versions anymore ... :-)

Urs

regards,
sb

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of trombonists, for they are subtle and
quick to anger.