should braces be re-introduced in LSR 503

From: Eluze
Subject: should braces be re-introduced in LSR 503
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 05:37:55 -0800 (PST)

adding this to the user list:

Amreg wrote
> Le 04/12/2013 00:38, Eluze a écrit :
>> the source in
>> http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/snippets/vocal-music#vocal-music-vertically-centered-common-lyrics
>> starts with
>>
>> \include "english.ly"
>> leftbrace = \markup { \override #'(font-encoding . fetaBraces) \lookup
>> #"brace240" }
>> rightbrace = \markup { \rotate #180 \leftbrace }
>>
>> I think these lines should be skipped since neither English note names
>> nor
>> left braces are used afterwards (or the leftbrace and rightbrace should
>> be
>> used!)
>
> Sorry to read this a little bit late, but I think this issue could be
> addressed the other way : modify the snippet to make braces show up.
>
> I often found such braces in printed scores, but (AFAIK) I've not seen in
> the doc an example of how to use them in mines... And I'm a rather new
> user of LP, so a snippet could be a appreciable help.
>
> Regards,
> A.M.

that's what I proposed as an alternative to omit them.

since the topic is about vertically arranging lyrics the braces seem
relatively less important.

there is still an example of a left brace in lyrics in the LSR:
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=265

and - tbh - I don't really like the resulting output; if somebody found the
time to make a really good example it would certainly get a place in the
LSR!

Eluze