Re: smallCaps and accented letters

From: Shane Brandes
Subject: Re: smallCaps and accented letters
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 22:30:33 -0500

Small caps are an interesting typological beast. They are generally
caps that are shrunk to the x height. But are not simply scaled down
if made correctly. They are supposed to retain the weight of the
regular majuscules. In any event that was the case in real world
physical type. Now it is possible to simply shrink things and not
really get the right effect. So that aside, computer fonts that
support actual smallcaps are not necessarily numerous in comparison to
the amount of fonts available and fonts that support additional
oddities are to my experience even less common. So the need for such a
condition may be small. However it might be possible to compose a
small cap character with an accent with the proper accent mark by
using the unicode combination characters for accents although results
might vary widely in quality of the result. Boston 1851 small caps is
part of a font family that has less limited array of accented
characters, over 350. Anyway best of luck.

regards,
Shane