Re: musicxml2ly bug: Fails on empty <work-title /> node

From: James Harkins
Subject: Re: musicxml2ly bug: Fails on empty <work-title /> node
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 08:52:49 +0800

On Dec 21, 2013 5:56 PM, "pls" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 21.12.2013, at 09:14, James Harkins <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I just found that it doesn't handle the case of an XML document where the title node exists, but is empty. I've uploaded a zip archive of two musicxml documents.
>
> we fixed this bug some time ago. See: https://github.com/Philomelos/lilypond-musicxml2ly-dev.

Thanks for clarifying that.

> These files are not minimal examples and contain loads of faulty xml markup.

... which Finale at least doesn't choke on. Whether Finale's result is valid or not, I couldn't say. What I can say is that the musicxml2ly result from the Finale file looked superficially reasonable at a quick glance. The point being that Finale's error tolerance produces something that is at least usable, even if awful, where musicxml2ly requires a standard of correctness that was unfortunately not useful in this case.

I offered the files not as minimal examples for the specific empty title issue, but as real-world use cases, on the supposition that musicxml2ly would be more useful if it's better able to recover from flawed input.

hjh