Re: [Feature Request] \compressFullBarRests improvement(s)

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Feature Request] \compressFullBarRests improvement(s)
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 12:44:40 +0100 (CET)

> I think one of the things that bothers me about this thread is that
> I don't understand why, if you want a four measure rest you would
> write 2+2.  For the vast majority of cases, if there are 48 bars
> between two rehearsal marks I'm happy to see |=48=| between them.
> So, why write anything but R1*48 in the part in question?  If there
> *is* a reason then the input can be something different, say R1*32
> R1*16 to produce |=32=| |=16=|.

As told earlier: The input of a score should not force the appearance
of the output.  For example, I like to write one bar per line in the
input files, interspersed with comments to structure them in five-bars
blocks.  Writing e.g. `R1*47' heavily disturbs this structure, making
corrections after inputting the data *much* more time consuming since
it takes longer to identify the right spot (yes, I'm a die-hard user
which uses a plain text editor for input).  In this case, it would be
great if multi-measure rests written as

  % 15
  R1*5 |
  % 20