Re: Bravura in LilyPond

From: Nathan
Subject: Re: Bravura in LilyPond
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 15:23:01 -0800

On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Janek Warchoł
<address@hidden> wrote:
> [...]
>
> Nathan, i am very sorry about the fact that your email in October
> didn't get any replies.  I saw it back then and was interested in it
> (actually i wanted to include it in openlilylib/snippets myself, after
> trying it out), but i didn't find time to look at it in detail, and it
> kept slipping from my head...  I apologize, and i feel personally
> responsible for your discouragement.  Unfortunately, in LilyPond
> community so many things are happening that it's nigh impossible to
> keep up with everything, and we sometimes forget to appreciate
> contributors for what they do.  I'm sorry about it.

No worries! I was a little puzzled by the lack of response, though.

> Thanks for what you did!  It's awesome!  Hopefully now that it's
> included in openlilylib/snippets
> (http://github.com/openlilylib/snippets/tree/master/custom-music-fonts/smufl)
> it won't get lost, and updating it should be simple.

There's also my repo https://github.com/backseatviolist/lilysmufl,
which Joram copied over to openLilyLib. Should I continue to update
that, or just do pull requests for openLilyLib?

> I hope that it will be possible to add it to core LilyPond some day, but
> before it'll
> be possible to do this in a clean way, a few rough corners would have
> to be polished and some (probably major) font code refactoring done...

That sounds like a fairly complicated and time-consuming project, and
far beyond the scope of LilySMuFL, which is just a trial run of
Bravura. But it would be very nice to have better external font
support in LilyPond.

Regards,
Nathan