Re: 3x repeats

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: 3x repeats
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 19:24:15 +0100

Am 23.12.2013 19:06, schrieb Xavier Noria:
On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 6:53 PM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:

Am 22.12.2013 05:54, schrieb Alex Loomis:

  In many contexts it's preferable to write it out instead of using percent
repeats. If it's a long passage then it's frequently written pretty much
like you had it except with the x3 at the repeat sign.

I'd second this.
But from numerous experiences (from the performer's POV) I can tell you
that you somehow have to make clear if you want the passage to be _played_
or _repeated_ three times. This is usually unclear and leads to useless
discussions in an ensemble unless the composer has explicitly stated his
intention (which probably has to be written out in a sentence).

Interesting, what is the difference?

That's what I'm talking about: Many people (composers) don't see the issue. They take one of them for granted and aren't aware of the existence of an alternative reading.

If you repeat something _once_ you play it _twice_.
And if you repeat three times you play four times.

But often "repeate three times" is used in the sense of "play three times".

Urs