Re: Need a new articulation glyph...

From: olevv
Subject: Re: Need a new articulation glyph...
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 03:02:37 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I believe the schleifer (slide) discussion won’t die, so I am waking it up
on purpose. I am typesetting the gavottes from "Ouverture nach französischer
Art" BWV 831. There are a couple of schleifers in the second gavotte. Here’s
what I did:

1. I took the definition of the schleifer function from
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=720 (click on the music to see the
lilypond source).
2. Near the end, in the line "\once \override Rest #'X-extent = #'(0 . 5)" I
changed 5 to 3.
3. I entered (using \version "2.16.2" and \language "deutsch"):

% schleifer; a hack upon a hack, but with an acceptable outcome
<< { a s2 }
   { s8
     \hideNotes
     \schleifer h8 \unHideNotes d2 }

cis8 h |

The result isn't perfect, takes up a little more space than desired, but
worth living with in my humble opinion:
<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n156595/Schleifer-demo.png>

In case you were wondering: The hidden h8 is there to have the schleifer
begin two steps below the d. It needs to be an 8th note after an s8: if I
just put h4, \hideNotes will hide the a too.

I'd still love if someone can do better — or best, if the schleifer ornament
would be built into Lilypond. :-)

Ole