Re: On Bravura

From: Joshua Nichols
Subject: Re: On Bravura
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 21:07:40 -0600

Re: soundsfromsound

Are you wanting to replace the default Feta completely?

I'm not entirely sure. I love LilyPond's font a great deal. However, I have an inkling to have them work side by side... perhaps more than just an "inkling"....

IIRC you can't just "swap out" Feta and put another in it's place, but I'm not 100%

I am aware of this via the previous talk on the m-l. I think (since looking at the binaries) that it would be far more extensive to replace "bit-for-bit" and match the positions and places of the glyphs with renamed files. That's why I'm asking a general question of what it would take to make this switch.

There is also the "goneville" alternative that's in the documentation. I don't care for it as much; but someone was able to implement the font system to some measurable success. I'm asking the same type of question here in terms of Bravura.

But overall the whole smufl alternative seems viable. I like what people are saying about implementing a more "marketable" approach (for interchanging other commercial fonts).

There's a lot that goes into making LilyPond's output so beautiful, not just the font.

I covet this fact; I get to use, on a daily basis, this priceless piece of software built by dedication and earnest excellence. I use LilyPond not simply for the typographical quality of the glyphs themselves, but more so for how the macros and various scripts interact with such a simple input format. That is why I cannot bear to bring myself to spend another $300-600 for something that I'm fighting with constantly with a difficult default output.

That's a long way to say that I don't think I will stop using LilyPond, but extending it typographically is, I think, a neat prospect.

IC,

Josh