Re: emacs and point-and-click configuration in Gnome3

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: Re: emacs and point-and-click configuration in Gnome3
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 12:33:35 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 31 Dec 2013, Federico Bruni wrote:

I've followed the instructions on Usage and it used to work fine until I
installed emacs.
Since I've installed emacs, every time I click on a textedit link in a PDF
(using evince), emacs pops up, even though my EDITOR variable is
/usr/local/bin/frescobaldi.

I don't really know an answer to your question, but I experimented with GNOME3, Evince, and Gvim on Fedora 20 following instructions from the same chapter in Usage and it worked perfectly. That has been quite different in the past.

I think this is a very nice combination:

I can now open gvim and evince and with GNOME3 I can drag gvim's window to the left border of the screen, and evince to the right border of the screen. This way the windows are automatically resized to give me a perfect split-screen.

To make <F6> display the pdf correctly I had to change a line in /usr/share/vim/vim74/ftplugins/lilypond.vim (that's where it is on Fedora, it maybe somewhere else on other systems, and have another name). This is related to a bug that I reported in the bug-lilypond mailinglist. I'm quoting it below. To make it work with Evince simply replace "gv" with "evince". Once Evince shows my score, I only have to use <F5> and Evince will automatically refresh the display.

Sorry for the long mail but here is what I wrote to bug-lilypond:

Hi,

in lilypond-2.18.0/vim/lilypond-ftplugin.vim
I see:

" <F6>  view ps with ghostview
map <buffer> <F6> :!gv --watch "%<.ps" &<Return>

This will not work, and hasn't for some time, because Lilypond's default
output is pdf these days and the ps file is only temporary.

So now it should be:

" <F6>  view pdf with ghostview
map <buffer> <F6> :!gv --watch "%<.pdf" &<Return>

--

MT