Re: Should I stop using barchecks in lyrics?

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Should I stop using barchecks in lyrics?
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 18:09:13 +0100

Hi,

2013/12/31 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> writes:
>> If you'd like to use bar checks in lyrics simply remove any that give
>> erroneous warnings (after checking they are erroneous of course).
>> Although I gave up using them as it is easy to check lyric placement
>> by inspecting the score.
>
> Or don't use \addlyrics/\lyricsto but rather time your lyrics
> explicitly.  That's also a lot more robust against juggling Voices,
> adding stanzas and so on.

Colin, please **don't** use explicit lyrics timing.  Alignment of
unassociated lyrics (i.e. lyrics that don't use \addlyrics/\lyricsto)
is broken, and such scores would look ugly and unprofessional.

David, i apologize for butting in like that, but i believe that we
shouldn't advocate using features that are broken.

I wrote a patch fixing this issue back in March (it's a part of
http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=3239), but it was
put on hold.  Now that 2.18 is out, i'd like to get back to it - if
i'll have time...

best,
Janek