Re: why you don't contribute to Mutopia

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: why you don't contribute to Mutopia
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2014 20:11:50 +0100

Federico Bruni <address@hidden> writes:

> Dear Lilyponders
>
> some recent posts in this list made me think about the weaknesses of
> Mutopia and why people who may contribute to it are not doing so.  I'd
> like to have some feedback from you. Which change in the Mutopia
> interface/decisions would make you start contributing or contributing
> more?

Mutopia scores tend to be useful as PDF only, the equivalent of dead
paper.  They usually have been compiled with an ancient version of
LilyPond nobody has available any more.

As a result, recompilation, transposing, changes of paper format and
other things are hard.

Mutopia's biggest weakness is not that it is missing new contributions
but rather that the existing contributions become unusable.

So what's needed is:
a) automated run of convert-ly to all following available stable versions
b) an interface for people to say "PDF for upgraded file looks ok"
c) an interface for people to fix up files that fail after convert-ly or
   are unnecessary complex given new LilyPond features.
d) grading/voting mechanisms for scores/contributors
e) obsoleting files when they have been converted and the version is
really outdated (like, beyond Debian Stale from one year ago)

At the current point of time, Mutopia is a large bitrot graveyard.  If
one makes it easy to crowdsource and/or automate the _maintenance_ of
files and make the various versions available, it might become a lot
more active.

--
David Kastrup