Re: Learning LilyPond, comments invited

From: Colin Tennyson
Subject: Re: Learning LilyPond, comments invited
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 00:14:14 -0800 (PST)

Carl Sorensen-3 wrote
> Your music has some durations that cross bar lines.  These durations mess
> up the bar checks.  Is there a reason you don't separate them into tied
> groups so there are bar line breaks?

Ah, let me explain.

The composer, Philippe Verdelot, lived somewhere around 1500, and back then
they didn't use bar lines yet.

Please consult the following entry from the LilyPond documentation:
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/working-with-ancient-music_002d_002dscenarios-and-solutions#mensurstriche-layout

It's a compromise. The ancient notation isn't copied, but some
characteristics are allowed to shine through, particularly the fact that
renaissance music has no concept of measures.

That poses a challenge, of course. Can the music typesetting software handle
that requirement? It may be, I don't know, that graphically oriented
software is rigidly dependent on bar checks at _every_ bar.

The LilyPond developers are aware of all this, of course. LilyPond must be
able to reproduce a wide range of typesetting styles.