Re: Learning Lilypond, comments invited - part 2

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Learning Lilypond, comments invited - part 2
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 16:55:01 +0100

>> Can the property "forbid_line_break_engraver" also be accessed using
>> a dot notation?
>
> Not that I’m aware of: engravers can only be added (\consists) or
> removed (\remove) in a context definition.

No, they can also be added or removed in a context _modification_, as in

\new Voice \with { \remove "..." \consists "..." }
  { ... }

The presence/absence of engravers is established when a context is
created and is static over its lifetime, or iteration would not be able
to work consistently.

Dot syntax is used for navigating to an existing (or implicitly created)
context during music execution.  So it's not useful with engravers.

That dot syntax is reinterpreted in the context of _music_ expressions
in a layout definition to affect a subset of context definitions is just
a courtesy
<URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2358>.  As
opposed to inside of context definitions and modifications,
\override/\revert are not specifically supported in the syntax of layout
definitions.  They just happen to be music expressions that can be
sensibly reinterpreted.  That would not work for engravers.

--
David Kastrup