Re: why you don't contribute to Mutopia

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: why you don't contribute to Mutopia
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 16:39:20 +0100

>> 2. Licenses
>> Currently Mutopia accepts only transcriptions licensed as public domain,
>> CC By, CC By-Sa:
>> http://www.mutopiaproject.org/legal.html
>>
>> I don't know what led to this decision, but I can imagine that at least
>> CC By-Sa-Nc would be preferred by some.
>
> BY-SA-NC is not approved as a free cultural license:
> http://creativecommons.org/freeworks
> These arguments should be considered. But it is a valid choice and it
> could also be good to have that option.
>
> And the mutopia footer with its varying font sizes is ugly!

Yet another license issue:

To my understanding the CC licenses (BY-...) require to mention the
author somehow. And the license should be linked or be somehow easy to
find. The current choice of licenses is lacking both. In addition the
newest CC version is 4.0.

I would propose something like:
© Year Author, License: Creative Commons … 4.0
Where the license points to the cc website (using \with-url)

Cheers,
Joram