Re: why you don't contribute to Mutopia

From: Phil Hézaine
Subject: Re: why you don't contribute to Mutopia
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2014 00:02:14 +0100

Le 04/01/2014 13:27, Federico Bruni a écrit :
2014/1/2 Phil Hézaine <address@hidden>

2. Licenses
Currently Mutopia accepts only transcriptions licensed as public domain,
CC
By, CC By-Sa:
http://www.mutopiaproject.org/legal.html

I don't know what led to this decision, but I can imagine that at least CC
By-Sa-Nc would be preferred by some.

And what about Free Art License which is recommended by the Free Software
Foundation. IMHO it's really a Free license.

I don't know if it adds much to what the licenses above provide.
Simplification is a good principle...

"Art Libre a fait le choix du libre; Creative Commons a fait celui du libre choix."

The structure of Art Libre is Copyleft.
One big difference is the acknowledgement of the Berne's Convention.
The Free Art License is effective in all the countries which signed up these agreement.
So far it is not the case for CC License (I don't know for CC 4.0).

There are also discussions about a compatibility between CC and FAL (or LAL = Licence Art Libre).

http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0/Compatibility

 Potential compatible licenses
FAL

In CC's view, FAL 1.3 is a strong candidate for two-way compatibility with BY-SA 4.0. Discussions are currently underway that we hope will allow remixing between two similarly-spirited but currently separate islands of content. We are working through details of what adjustments may need to be made in order to accomplish this goal. We will be vetting those fully with our communities between now and d3 (draft3). It is possible that some tweaks may needed to be made to our licenses to make that happen, affecting current drafting. In terms of operationalizing such a statement on the CC side either through a reference in the license itself or inclusion on our existing (empty) webpage [link], this is an open question that will be addressed once more progress is made. For now, d2 contains the same compatibility language as 3.0 and maintains the definition of Creative Commons Compatible License and structure.

Cheers.
Phil.