Lyric word pushes note to right

From: David O'Donnell
Subject: Lyric word pushes note to right
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 20:27:03 -0500

I frequently work with scores with lyrics and continually encounter this problem, especially when engraving a transcription of plainchant. A lyric syllable of a longer length will push the other notes in the melisma to the right, creating an uneven spacing of beamed or tied notes. I would like the other notes in the melisma to not be affected by a syllable of longer length. The longer syllable should continue under the second or third note of the melisma, and the spacing of the notes in the melisma should remain even, just as they would be if there were no lyrics or the lyric syllable was very short.

The proper formatting appears in the Purcell example which comes from the learning manual: http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/learning/aligning-lyrics-to-a-melody

Thanks!