Re: Learning Lilypond, comments invited - part 2

From: Simon Bailey
Subject: Re: Learning Lilypond, comments invited - part 2
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 10:49:12 +0100

hi,

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 7:20 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
Noeck <address@hidden> writes:
> With the promising caption "\set versus \override" and no content:
> http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/set-versus-override

Having spent quite a bit of time writing this section and making it as
accurate as I can, I consider the sweeping characterization as "no
content" rather impolite.  Please try offering more constructive
criticism.

Wow. that is extremely detailed. And made me totally space out while reading it -- and I think I have a good grasp of lilypond. Not sure how well that information would help a mildly experienced beginner. Extremely correct documentation is great, don't get me wrong, but I think juggling the paragraphs around on this page may make it more easily digested:

Might I suggest moving the 2nd to last paragraph to the beginning of that section? Or at the latest as a 2nd paragraph? For me, that's the most important piece of information on that page -- \set applies to Contexts and \override to Grobs. Armed with that bit of info, the rest of the text jumps into place.

Regards,
sb