Re: On features planned for 2.20 and Documentations on Contemporary Musi

From: Joshua Nichols
Subject: Re: On features planned for 2.20 and Documentations on Contemporary Music
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 13:31:15 -0600

Thanks to Kieren, David, and Phil for your responses. Kieren, that was a fantastic snippet.

I guess I would be willing to help, but I have no where to begin to start that process. I would love to come up with some documentation on contemporary music, but it seems that LilyPond does convential stuff REALLY well, in contrast to contemporary music which takes heavy tweaking and coding to accomplish it.

So, if there is something I can do to help out with the documentation, let me know!

IC,

Josh

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 5:14 AM, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Josh,

> I was wondering if any "examples" of contemporary notation were ever going to be put in the documentation. I know there is a spot for that, and when I've checked back several stable versions, and alas... nothing.

As others have pointed out, we [the community] need to step up and fill that gap.

> Perhaps fractional time signatures, like "3/3, or 3/(dotted sixteenth)?”

Here’s something I’ve been using:

\version "2.17"

tsModern =
#(define-music-function
  (parser location dur)
  (ly:duration?)
    #{
      \once \override Staff.TimeSignature #'stencil = #ly:text-interface::print
      \once \override Staff.TimeSignature #'text =
        \markup \override #'(baseline-skip . 0.5) \center-column {
          \number #(number->string (car (ly:duration-factor dur)))
          \note-by-number #(ly:duration-log dur) #(ly:duration-dot-count dur) #DOWN }
      \time #(cons (ly:moment-main-numerator (ly:duration-length dur))
          (ly:moment-main-denominator (ly:duration-length dur)))
    #})

theMusic = {
 \tsModern 16.*7 R16.*7 |
 \tsModern 4*3 R4*3 |