Re: Engraving challenges

From: Marc Sabatella
Subject: Re: Engraving challenges
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 06:35:16 -0800 (PST)

I run git on on my Windows machine and it works well.  I don't always "get" git, but give me a workflow to follow and I can follow it.  Offline, I volunteered to do MuseScore using a pre-release of  2.0.  It can save files in a text format, unless there are custom graphics (eg, SVG files) that need to be included in the score.

Marc Sabatella

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 4:26 AM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:

Am 08.01.2014 11:26, schrieb Phil Holmes:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Urs Liska" <address@hidden>

Great. You had already expressed this earlier, I know.

>> b)
>> Who would be interested in participating with LilyPond?
>> Of course with LilyPond it'll be easy to do it collaboratively, while
>> I don't really see how Finale users should do the same.
>
> I'll let someone else.

OK, we'll probably be too many anyway.

> My main concern is the emphasis on git. Sibelius runs on my Windows box
> and I don't generally use git on that at all. Sibelius also only
> produces binary files, so there's no point in trying to track or
> collaborate through git. How would a Windows/non-git machine proceed?

The question is not unexpected but nevertheless tricky.
We _have_ to track binary files also with Git.
Half of the point is still there: Having a history chain of the file's
development.
The other half is of course pointless as the commits don't provide
meaningfull diffs.
And of course it will somewhat bloat the repo size, but we can accept
this because the repo won't become huge anyway.

So it would be great if you would install Git also on the Windows
machine. AFAIK this isn't a big deal anymore.

If that's not possible the only option I see is to somehow transfer the
files somewhere where they can be added to the repository.
For example by
- making a copy with a revision number suffix.
- when in a git-friendly environment commit them one by one,
stripping off the suffix.

Urs

--
Urs Liska