Re: Version control tools

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Version control tools
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 23:28:35 +0100

Joseph Rushton Wakeling <address@hidden> writes:

> On 08/01/14 21:13, David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> At the current point of time, due to a discussion about version
>> control on the Emacs developer list, I am working on git blame which
>> is ridiculously slow.  For the file src/xdisp.c, it takes about 2
>> minutes on my computer.  I've cut it down by some 20 or 30% on the
>> first attempt, but with my current approach, I should eventually get
>> it down to few seconds at most.  At the current point of time, it
>> segfaults almost instantaneously.  One out of two ain't bad...
>>
>> Ridiculous that this code has not been sensibly improved over the last
>> 10 years or so...
>
> It's a surprise to me, certainly.  What do you think of the Facebook
> developers' contention that Git's internals would be difficult to work
> with if serious scaling gains are desired?

Well, I'll answer like Gandhi when asked "Mr Gandhi, what do you think
of Western civilization?": "I'd consider it a good idea.".

I've taken a look at some of the difference machine internals (that's
basically git's workhorse) and found out that optimizations I did in
2006 or so have not been superseded.  Now it's hard to get those much
faster but it was still sort of a surprise that the core stayed pretty
much the same.  It's mostly the callers who get some polish, and
options, and utf-8 message re-/encoding and such things.

--
David Kastrup