Rhythm variations in each repeated sequence

From: muggle
Subject: Rhythm variations in each repeated sequence
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 14:13:39 -0800 (PST)

I'm trying to typeset a song with a verse-chorus-verse-chorus-verse-chorus...
form.

Basically the structure of the piece is like this:

||:  verse  chorus  :||  cadenza

However, each verse has small variations in rhythm (and notes) which I want
to include using \teeny noteheads.

This <http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.general/9808>
very old discussion seems to address my problem, but it's a bit outdated. So
is there a similar piece of code that works for version 2.16? I can't seem
to find much about this online.