Experiment with an Alternative Notation for learning Guitar music

From: Philip Rhoades
Subject: Experiment with an Alternative Notation for learning Guitar music
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 13:09:20 +1100

People,

I have used this script:

\version "2.18.0"

\new Staff \with {

  % remaps pitches on the staff to semitones / chromatic scale
  staffLineLayoutFunction = #ly:pitch-semitones

  % reconfigures line pattern of staff
%  \override StaffSymbol #'line-positions = #'( -1 2 5 8 )
  \override StaffSymbol #'line-positions =
      #'( -2 1 4 7 10 )   % 3 main lines - GOOD
%       #'(    1 4 7 10 ) % Lilypond putting dashes in the wrong place

  % keep stems from extending too far
  \override Stem #'no-stem-extend = ##t

  % remove accidentals and clefs
  \remove Accidental_engraver

} {

  % enter notes here
  \relative {
    e f fis g gis a ais b c cis d dis e

The first line spacing looks OK but I want to stack clefs and so I want to have the top and bottom notes (ie the "middle" notes between clefs) on short lines but Lilypond changes the line spacing when I use the second line spacing above ie in this example the distance between the short dashed lines that Lilypond puts on the low E and F are are narrower than the long line spacing. I am new to Lilypond so I guess there is something obvious I need to do?

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades