Re: MEI

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: MEI
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 09:54:20 +0100

Philip Rhoades <address@hidden> writes:

> Kevin,
>

> On 2014-01-11 17:40, Kevin Tough wrote:
>> From a Fringe Coder,
>>
>> I like Vim (text editor).
>

> The choice of champions!
>

>> I like to code with minimal but descriptive
>> syntax(ie. Visual Basic).
>

> Basic will cause brain damage - try Ruby!

For minimal but descriptive?  More like Lua.  Ruby is going the way of
Perl, dragging too much stuff into it without a plan.

>> If MusicXML is guided by the right people and does become/is a
>> definitive standard that can support the keywords and other
>> particulars of lilypond code, then this might be a great opportunity
>> for the lilypond community.
>
> I hope so.

MusicXML is not useful for writing music.  Most of the user pressure
regarding LilyPond's syntax is to be writing stuff more convenient, more
natural, more whatever category totally out of MusicXML's ballpark.

I expect to be about as many people writing MusicXML by hand as are
people writing PDF by hand.

--
David Kastrup