Re: midiInstrument not rendered for some values

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: midiInstrument not rendered for some values
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 14:42:42 +0100

Am 11.01.2014 07:39, schrieb David Kastrup:
> Bric <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> trying random instruments from the list of instruments on this page:
>> http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/midi-instruments
>>
>> here are the values for which my timidity (version 2.13.2) creates an
>> audible track (a few picked at random):
>>
>>     cello
>>     xylophone
>>     pan flute
>>
>> and here are a few values for which there is no sound in the generated
>> midi file:
>>
>>     contrabass
>>     honky-tonk
>>     pizzicato strings
>>

>> is this a glitch?  is it my timidity  ?
>
> The latter.  There is no complete set of free Midi patches.

But you can do better than default timidity:
Under Ubuntu (and I suppose Debian and other distributions) there is a
package called
  fluid-soundfont-gm

If you install that and use it in timidity by changing the following
line in /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg:
- source /etc/timidity/freepats.cfg
+ source /etc/timidity/fluidr3_gm.cfg

You can play at least all the 6 examples from your mail.

Cheers,
Joram

PS: Thanks to your mail I found out that I had installed it but not
configured. After configuring, I can use much more instruments. Thanks!