Re: Generating random notes

From: Mike Solomon
Subject: Re: Generating random notes
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 12:41:45 +0200

On Jan 13, 2014, at 12:38 PM, Philip Rhoades <address@hidden> wrote:

People,

I am doing my own Alternative Notation for Classical Guitar and with a lot of help from Paul Morris am making good progress.  I was about to write a little Ruby script to generate random notes (400 == 100 bars) within different ranges to practise jumping around the fretboard but it occurred to me that I might be able to do this in Scheme - which would help further the cause of learning for Lilypond.  Is this a sensible thing to do or should I just do it with ruby and plug the results into a .ly file?

Thanks,

Phil.

It can be done in Scheme, but I find that it’s better to do it in a scripting language (I use Python).  abjad (http://abjad.mbrsi.org/) is great for that sorta thing.
Generating human readable .ly syntax is valuable to spot errors, and creating/manipulating events in Scheme is annoying.

Cheers,
MS