Re: how close are we to having an "addAt" or "insertAt" feature?

From: Mike Solomon
Subject: Re: how close are we to having an "addAt" or "insertAt" feature?
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 07:44:50 +0200

On Jan 14, 2014, at 1:03 AM, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> What would be involved in developing a feature to add notes or tweaks at an
> arbitrary moment within a music expression?
>
> e.g.
>
>    global = \repeat unfold 100 s1
>    music = \addAt (4 3/8) \global \once \override RehearsalMark.extra-offset
> #’(-1 . 0)
>
> where (4 3/8) means “in the fourth measure, at the moment of the 3rd eighth
> note”
>
> This would allow “perfect” separation of content from presentation — a very
> welcome thing to my mind.
>
> Thanks,
> Kieren.

I agree that this’d be great.

A Scheme function can unfold repeats (we’d need one for absolute mode and one
for relative), and a Scheme function can comb through music of arbitrary length
and attach things to it, so we’re about a half-day’s work away from a hack that
doesn’t involve iterators.

If we’re gonna touch the C++ iterators, it’ll require more design strategy and
will take more time.

Cheers,
MS