Re: how close are we to having an "addAt" or "insertAt" feature?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: how close are we to having an "addAt" or "insertAt" feature?
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 23:27:12 +0100

> Hi Mike (et al.),
>
>>> What would be involved in developing a feature to add notes or
>>> tweaks at an arbitrary moment within a music expression?
>>> music = \addAt (4 3/8) \global \once \override
>>> RehearsalMark.extra-offset #’(-1 . 0)
>
>> we’re about a half-day’s work away from a hack that doesn’t involve
>> iterators.
>> If we’re gonna touch the C++ iterators, it’ll require more design
>> strategy and will take more time.
>
> What would be the benefit of “touching the C++ iterators”?

That's where the actual timing is established.  Nothing else will work
reliably without simulating the full iteration (which also requires
_all_ contexts).  So "a half-day's work" is more like the estimate for
every single further fix making the timing simulation work closer to
what iteration would do anyway.

--
David Kastrup