Experiences from voice handling wanted

From: Peter Bjuhr
Subject: Experiences from voice handling wanted
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 12:48:45 +0100

Hello all,

this is asking for advices from you experienced LilyPond users.

Lets say you're engraving music for an instrument capable of playing multiple voices, and the structure of the music is a mix between using one voice and several. (In my case I'm thinking about piano music, but lets make this a more general question). Here is an example with two voices as different variables:

\version "2.19.0"

vOne = \relative c'' {

<a c e>2. <g c es>4 |

e'4. d8 c2 |
% \oneVoice

<e g bes>4 <es ges b>2.

}

vTwo = \relative c' {

s1

g'4 a b4. c8

s1

}

\score {

\new Staff <<

\new Voice {\voiceOne \vOne }

\new Voice {\voiceTwo \vTwo }

}

One main problem with this structure is the need to insert \oneVoice to make voice one (vOne) behave optionally when "alone". One possible solution in this case is to use \partcombine:

\score {

\new Staff \with { printPartCombineTexts = ##f }

{ \partcombine \vOne \vTwo }

}

But this solution isn't available if more than two voices are used!?

My main question is what are your experiences in handling these kind of musical structures? But really any thoughts on this are welcome!

Best
Peter