Re: kerning/ligatures in opentype fonts

From: Simon Bailey
Subject: Re: kerning/ligatures in opentype fonts
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 12:41:11 +0100

hi,

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 12:20 PM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
> Am 16.01.2014 12:17, schrieb Simon Bailey:
>
>> I'm using it through typekit, there are some hoops to jump through to
>> get lilypond to recognise it.
>
> Which may be a hint where to look for problems.

copied the .otf file from the TypeKit font cache directory to
~/.fonts. On linux that works perfectly, on OS X, I _think_ i had to
change some fontconfig files to include that location.

I just booted to linux, and generated my PDF. In comparison, I used
the same font in LibreOffice writer (not necessarily the best
typographical tool in the world), and this is the comparison:
http://nota.bailey.at/libre-office-frescobaldi-linux.png (sorry, too
big to attach).

the ligature is obviously there in my copy of the font.

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 12:21 PM, Kieren MacMillan
<address@hidden> wrote:
>> Minion Pro, by - Robert Slimbach ;-)
>
> I own this! The full Minion Pro MM font was my 21st birthday present from my
> parents.
>
>> I _very_ much like the Minion/Cronos combination and use it all the time.
>
> I may just have to add Cronos to my font kit.
>
>> Minion in particular has the advantage of a wide array of weights and
>> widths. That makes it suitable to find a perfect complement for LilyPond
>> scores.
>> With condensed you have a choice of regular medium and semibold alone to
>> select for lyrics.

Minion is beautiful -- I use it as a CI font in a different
enterprise. :) For music, I like Kepler, which also has a massive
assortment of weights and styles. Thanks for your include file, that
gives me some ideas and answers another question i've had drafted in a
mail for a while... :D

regards,
sb
--
Do not meddle in the affairs of trombonists, for they are subtle and
quick to anger.