Re: "Generative music" and "Algorithmic composition"

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: "Generative music" and "Algorithmic composition"
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 14:22:40 +0100

Philip Rhoades <address@hidden> writes:

> David,

>> So your first statement:

>> was wrong, and my guess

>> concerning your use of Paul's converted code was correct.  Like with
>> _any_ material prepared for an older version of LilyPond, you have to
>> run convert-ly on it before using it.  Which is just what Paul did in
>> order to arrive at "his" version.  Yes, this rewrites the Scheme
>> expression.
>
> OK, lesson learned - obviously not the sort of behaviour I am used to
> with other languages . .

Other languages will also complain about copy and paste errors.  You
don't make things easier for other people if your reports don't match
what you are actually doing, even if you think that this "should" not
make a difference.  If things were doing everything you think they
"should", you would not be having problems in the first place.

Seems like I forgot to point out the importance of bringing your
versions up to the new syntax in the release announcement for 2.18.  At
any rate, see
<URL:http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/usage/why-does-the-syntax-change_003f.html>.

--
David Kastrup