Re: "Generative music" and "Algorithmic composition"

From: Philip Rhoades
Subject: Re: "Generative music" and "Algorithmic composition"
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 01:18:33 +1100

David,

On 2014-01-17 00:22, David Kastrup wrote:
Philip Rhoades <address@hidden> writes:

David,

So your first statement:

I get a GUILE error on line 5

  $(let

was wrong, and my guess

I don't.  Copy and paste error?

concerning your use of Paul's converted code was correct.  Like with
_any_ material prepared for an older version of LilyPond, you have to
run convert-ly on it before using it.  Which is just what Paul did in
order to arrive at "his" version.  Yes, this rewrites the Scheme
expression.

OK, lesson learned - obviously not the sort of behaviour I am used to
with other languages . .

Other languages will also complain about copy and paste errors.

It wasn't a copy and paste error - I proved that by redoing it, diffing etc - it was ONLY the version issue.

You
don't make things easier for other people if your reports don't match
what you are actually doing,

That is incorrect, I reported exactly what I did - I got a GUILE error (on an old snippet version) - I probably should have posted the code, then it would have been clear straight away - but it wasn't a copy and paste problem.

even if you think that this "should" not
make a difference.  If things were doing everything you think they
"should", you would not be having problems in the first place.

That is a fair comment in general does not apply in this case - the fact is that I hadn't remembered the conversion thing and if I had, there wouldn't have been an issue . . and it is NOT unreasonable for someone coming from other coding regimes not to have upper in their minds: that ALL old code has to be converted - this is unusual situation.

Seems like I forgot to point out the importance of bringing your
versions up to the new syntax in the release announcement for 2.18.  At
any rate, see
<URL:http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/usage/why-does-the-syntax-change_003f.html>.

Thanks,

Phil.