Re: Updating Snippets in the LSR when versions are updated

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Updating Snippets in the LSR when versions are updated
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 17:12:43 +0100

Philip Rhoades <address@hidden> writes:

> People,
>
> After being bitten (unnecessarily) by old code in the LSR and having a
> continuing argument with David about how it came about - I have to ask
> -
> is there any reason why all the snippets in the LSR can't be
> automatically updated when a new version is introduced?

We don't have control over the users' computers, so we can't upgrade
their LilyPond version ourselves.

The current Debian stable is at version 2.14.2:
<URL:http://packages.debian.org/source/wheezy/lilypond>

> Surely this would not be hard to do?

It isn't.  That's what convert-ly is available for.

> If the Guile syntax is changing so often, what is the point of keeping
> old code in the LSR?

You mean: LilyPond syntax.  The point is supporting all current users of
LilyPond that don't have outdated systems.  The current Debian stable
uses 2.14.

> It is fair enough to tell people that they have to convert THEIR OWN
> code but the people who run the LSR, repo should be responsible for
> keeping that up to date . .

The LSR does not differentiate between versions, so it has to provide
stuff working for the oldest stable legitimately in use.

That's arguably a deficiency.  I am sure that your offers to extend the
LSR code accordingly will be appreciated by the person running the LSR.

> If there is an argument for keeping a snippet in it's original form
> because of historical significance or something - an archive could be
> kept of it.
>
> Just my 2c . .

That will not buy a lot of code...

--