Re: [Documentation-worthy] Quotes from tagged music expressions

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [Documentation-worthy] Quotes from tagged music expressions
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 17:11:03 +0100

"Jan Hajic, jr." <address@hidden> writes:

Let's get to the gist of the matter:
> \version "2.18.0"
>
> outputTypeTag = "isScore"

> firstInstrument = \relative c' {
> \tag #'isPart { \cueDuring #"quoteSecondInstrument" #UP { r2 } }
> \tag #'isScore { r2 }
> e4 f |
> g4 a b c |
>
> }
>
> secondInstrument= \relative c'' {
> c4 c r2
> |
> \cueDuring #"quoteFirstInstrument" #DOWN { r2 }
> c4 c |
> }
>
> \addQuote quoteFirstInstrument \firstInstrument
> \addQuote quoteSecondInstrument \secondInstrument
>
> \new Staff <<
> \keepWithTag \outputTypeTag \firstInstrument
>>>
> \new Staff <<
> \keepWithTag \outputTypeTag \secondInstrument
>>>

> What actually works is changing the quote definitions:
>
> \addQuote quoteFirstInstrument \keepWithTag \outputTypeTag \firstInstrument
> \addQuote quoteFirstInstrument \keepWithTag \outputTypeTag \secondInstrument

Yes.

> What looks better is << >> around the pair of tagged expressions:
>
> << \tag #'isPart { \cueDuring #"quoteSecondInstrument" #UP { r2 } }
>      \tag #'isScore { r2 } >>

Don't think this will work.  As far as I remember quotes, they play a
music expression and record the resulting events in order to replay them
when needed.  But those recorded events will not get looked at by
\keepWithTag, so I consider it likely that you always get both versions.

--
David Kastrup