Re: [bounty] improved whiteout

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [bounty] improved whiteout
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 11:52:52 +0100

SoundsFromSound <address@hidden> writes:

> Kieren MacMillan wrote
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Here’s my semi-annual request-slash-U$25-bounty-offer for an improved
>> whiteout function…
>> (cf.
>> &lt;http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2013-10/msg00578.html&gt;)
>>
>> Could \whiteout (with settable #’thickness or #’margin parameter) please
>> use the grob outline, rather than just putting a white box behind the
>> grog?
>
> Have you gotten any feedback yet in previous requests as far as what the
> main obstacle is in improving this function? Is it just time and energy, or
> an impractical, complete re-writing of code, or something like a mix of
> issues? I ask because if someone is able to and willing to take a spin at
> this, and it's not a crazy-hard task to do, then I would consider helping
> out with a higher bounty. Anything I can do to help LilyPond get even better
> is something I'm quite serious about and would be happy to invest in. But I
> don't want to put too much on any one person's plate. :)

I think that this boils down to agreeing on sensible semantics and good
interfaces to what's currently stuck as issue 3524
<URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=3524>.  If that
reaches home plate in a sensible state, doing the shaped whiteout should
be well within reach, the main problem being how to add padding.

The lion's share of the required work will likely _not_ be sailing under
the banner of "whiteout".

--
David Kastrup