Re: Off-topic: Automatically create rehearsal files from SATB midi file

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Off-topic: Automatically create rehearsal files from SATB midi file
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 12:03:10 +0100

Noeck <address@hidden> writes:

>> So you want lyrics events in the midi. For karaoke?
>
> It's more like "Why not/Just because I can". I implemented it like that
> back then. As at least in Timidity the timing of music and the lyrics is
> not in sync, I would remove it, if I used it now.

Timidity has several options affecting synchronization.  I haven't
managed to get useful results using any combination of them.
Historically, LilyPond was to blame for _some_ discrepancies because
different defaults for autoBeaming in layout and midi led to different
melismata.

However, even after fixing this (issue 2414, version 2.15.43) and after
Rosegarden (a Midi sequencer) displays sensibly aligned lyrics, Timidity
tends to be totally off, regardless which options one tries playing
with.

--
David Kastrup