Re: Split Parts

From: Peter Bjuhr
Subject: Re: Split Parts
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 22:00:41 +0100

Hi Orm!

On 01/21/2014 09:06 PM, Orm Finnendahl wrote:
I'm taking the plunge to write a pretty big orchestra piece with
lilypond (contemporary music) and am wondering how to organize the
parts: There will be sections in the piece where e.g. the first
violins are split (maybe sometimes only for a couple of bars and up to
14 different parts). In the score, the unisono parts should get
notated only on one staff. For staff systems containing bars with
divisi strings, each instrument should get its own staff (replicating
existing unisono bars on all staffs).

First of all, which version of LilyPond are you using?

For creating parts with occasional string divisi I'd take a look at the technique of adding extra staffs http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/snippets/staff-notation#staff-notation-adding-an-extra-staff

If you're going to divide the strings in up to 14 different parts, maybe the best approach is to use the same technique also in the score.
In the individual parts I'd like
to have parts with each instrument having only his/her part in it.

Do you mean that each string musician should get his/her own part? I would think this is highly unusual when dealing with occasional and shifting divisions. But if the divisions are done consequently throughout the piece it's doable to organize them as separate parts.

Best
Peter