Re: Shape of individual ties in chords

From: Simon Bailey
Subject: Re: Shape of individual ties in chords
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 12:09:22 +0100

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 11:44 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> Simon Bailey <address@hidden> writes:
>> two i can think of:
>> - it can't be quoted (at least i haven't found the correct event to
>> quote yet)
>
> I think that this will be fixed as a side effect of
> <URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=3810>.

cool. i _really_ like the new rhythm syntax. :)

> and of course, you can always call \chordRepeats explicitly on the music
> you want to quote.

first time i've heard about that function. :) yes, it's in the
documentation, but only as a way to repeat event types on chords --
doesn't explicitly state that it would expand q to become the chords
in music expressions [but makes sense if you think outside of the box
a bit].

>> - it can't be altered with relative octave-switch commands
>
> Well, it would be so weird behavior in a \relative section that I'm
> actually glad about that.  Why would you even want to do that?

in the piano music i've been typesetting over the last few months,
i've come across a lot of chords that jump around in octaves -- being
able to octave a chord repetition would sometimes be handy. a very
trivial example:

%%% SNIPSNAP %%%
\new PianoStaff <<
  \new Staff = "up" \relative c' { <d fis a>2 <d' fis a>2 }
  \new Staff = "down" \relative c { \clef bass <d d,>2 <d, d,>2 }
}
%%% SNAPSNIP %%%

could conceivably be written as:
%%% SNIPSNAP %%%
\new PianoStaff <<
  \new Staff = "up" \relative c' { <d fis a>2  q' }
  \new Staff = "down" \relative c { \clef bass <d d,>2  q, }
}
%%% SNAPSNIP %%%

may or may not be a fringe case.

regards,
sb

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of trombonists, for they are subtle and
quick to anger.