Re: How do I get Emacs mode?

From: Hwaen Ch'uqi
Subject: Re: How do I get Emacs mode?
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 19:54:50 -0500

> Yes, I have now found all seven files elsewhere, and checked that the
> six I had already found are identical to the copies I found in the other
> directory.  So all now seems to be well.
>
> Some time when I have some time to spare, I must update all this stuff
> on my other computer too!
>
> Oh, and having converted a load of .ly files using convert-ly, and
> having now got emacs working OK, I just tried recompiling a file.  It
> wouldn't compile, producing about 20 errors, so now I'm going to have to
> spend hours (probably) finding out why.  But that'll have to be for
> another day (or week, perhaps). :-(
>
> David

     Just a question or two, based on my own experience. Did you first
remove (or purge) LilyPond 2.14.2 before installing 2.18.0? Otherwise,
your system may still be using the older installation. Also, where did
you install the latest version? If I remember correctly, the automatic
installation of 2.14.2 places the bin files in /usr/bin. To keep this
consistent, I installed LilyPond 2.18.0 in /usr/, using the --prefix
argument. Third, have you established that the .el files are exact
copies by using a program like diff? To be utterly safe, I always
remove the old .el files (which even purging will not remove) and
replace them with the .el files found in the new installation. Lastly,
if you use the info files to read the manuals, be sure to move them
from their original location to the /usr/share/info directory;
otherwise, you will not have access to them by the normal means.
Hwaen Ch'uqi