Re: spacing/layout 2.19

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: spacing/layout 2.19
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 10:57:46 +0100

Simon Bailey <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> following my issues with ligatures, i compiled 2.19.2 from source on
> OS X. i'm now seeing very different spacing and layouting than with
> the 2.18.1 official package from lilypond.org.

There is no official 2.18.1 package from lilypond.org.

> it's generally a lot better and utilizes space more optimally.
>
> Is this a general improvement in 2.19 or is this _probably_ related to
> my homegrown version using a 64-bit version of the pango or freetype
> libraries that work better/correctly?

There are general improvements in spacing, particularly vertical spacing
in 2.19.2 as compared to 2.18.0.  It may well be that problems with
ligatures/compositing/whatever _also_ have an influence on the overall
layout difference you are experiencing, but with regard to overall
spacing and layouting I would expect those influences to be minor at
best.

--
David Kastrup